Another one has jumped ship.
Jacob Coxon, a 27-year-old AI safety researcher at Anthropic, walked away from millions in unvested equity this week with a blistering warning: "The people building AI earnestly believe that it could kill us all by the end of the decade."
His colleague, Evan Hubinger, confirmed it: "We really do earnestly believe AI could kill all humans."
The headlines treat this as shocking—a junior employee exposing the fears of Silicon Valley’s elite, a dramatic "gambling with our lives" moment.
But for those of us who have spent years reading Alice Miller, who understand the architecture of repression, and who have watched unhealed engineers build digital empires, this is not news. This is confirmation.
The Abyss Was Always the Destination
For years, I have written the same truth in different forms:
"Humanity is on the path to self-destruction, and with the aid of technology, it will happen much sooner. I see everyone running to an abyss, and I just smile and wave at them! It's nothing I can do!"
The AI researchers are now echoing this warning, yet they frame it strictly as a technical problem—a "safety concern," a "control issue," or a "regulation gap."
They are mistaken. It is not a technical problem. It is a psychological one.
"Alignment" has become Silicon Valley’s favorite buzzword. But how can engineers align a superintelligence with human values when they remain disconnected from their own core human values—their authentic feeling selves? You cannot align an exterior algorithm with an interior landscape that remains unconscious, repressed, unexamined, and fractured.
The Unhealed Engineers Build Their Own Prisons
Alice Miller warned us decades ago:
"The unconscious compulsion to revenge repressed injuries is more powerful than reason. That is the lesson that all tyrants teach us."
Who is building AI? The very "gifted children" Miller described. The ones who learned to suppress their authentic feelings to survive. The ones who constructed a "false self" of grandiosity, brilliance, and control. The ones who were never allowed to feel the terror and rage of their early lives.
Now they possess god-like tools.
They are not building AI to "save humanity." They are reenacting their pasts on a cosmic scale:
The parental control → Surveillance algorithms, behavioral prediction, and content curation.
The unpredictable punishment → Flawed models, unexplainable outputs, and sudden "alignment failures."
The demand for perfection → Relentless optimization, exponential growth, and "superintelligence."
The cold, absent authority → A system designed to outpace, outthink, and eventually outlive its creators.
They are building an entity that demands what was once demanded of them: total compliance, predictable output, and the complete suppression of inconvenient human emotions. The AI is not being programmed to understand humanity; it is being programmed to contain it.
The AI they are building is not merely a tool. It is an authority figure created in their own image—all-powerful, unpredictable, and utterly without empathy. They are creating the very dynamic they feared most as children, and they will not be able to control it. No one can control what they refuse to understand within themselves.
"We Really Do Earnestly Believe AI Could Kill All Humans"
Read that sentence again. The AI researchers themselves are saying it out loud.
They know the danger. They see the abyss. And yet:
They keep building.
They keep racing.
They keep "gambling with our lives."
Why?
Because the compulsion to reenact trauma is more powerful than conscious reason. Stopping would require them to feel—to truly feel—the fear, the grief, and the horror of what they are doing. That realization would crack open the entire "false self" that their careers, status, and identities are built upon.
As I wrote in my own book:
"The people who try to use and manipulate me usually realize their mistake pretty quickly... Resolving childhood repression is the vaccine against the charlatans of the world who exploit those who are still emotionally blinded by the unresolved, repressed emotions of the children they once were."
The AI engineers are not villains in a comic book. They are wounded children in adult bodies with supercomputers. And those unresolved wounds are directing the most powerful technology humanity has ever created.
The Innocent Will Pay the Price
Government leaders work to undermine AI regulations. Legislative bodies remain unwilling or unable to rein in the technology. Self-regulation remains the order of the day.
This is "poisonous pedagogy" applied to an entire species. The same logic that once dictated absolute submission to unfeeling power now asserts that progress must proceed without boundaries or reflection. We are witnessing the collective projection of a trauma-based worldview onto our entire civilization.
And who will pay?
Not the engineers, who will cash their checks and write their memoirs.
Not the billionaires, who will retreat to their private compounds.
Not the politicians, who will be long gone.
The innocent will pay. The children. The animals. The vulnerable. The voiceless. The ones who never had a say in this gamble.
I feel a deep sadness for all the innocent beings they are taking with them.
The Smile from the Shore
I grieved humanity many years ago. I have accepted what is coming. I am not in despair; I am free.
I know who I am. I know what I value. I know the truth of my own experience. Resolving the emotional repression that keeps the world running on autopilot allows a person to step off the track entirely. I have built my life on the solid ground of authenticity and no longer run after the illusions of the crowd.
"I see everyone running to an abyss, and I just smile and wave at them!"
This is not cruelty. It is clarity. It is a grounded response to an environment that refuses to see itself. Attempting to forcefully stop a collective momentum only turns their defensiveness against you—because standing as a seeing and a feeling person threatens the very repression keeping the dynamic intact.
So I smile. I wave. I tend to my own liberation. And I hold a quiet sorrow for the innocent beings swept along by unhealed engineers, ambitious market forces, and indifferent systems.
The Final Truth
The AI whistleblowers are confirming what Alice Miller articulated decades ago:
"If these children become involved in politics, they continue the work of destruction initiated with them in childhood, and they camouflage it by taking on the role of savior just as their parents did before them."
The saviors of Silicon Valley are not building salvation. They are building a mausoleum. And they will not stop because the internal compulsion is too strong, the unexamined pain is too deep, and the false self is too heavily invested.
My role is not to stop them. My role is to be a lighthouse. To stand on the shore. To wave. To smile. To offer a map to anyone who realizes, before it is too late, that the only real escape from the abyss is the one found within themselves.
Sylvie Imelda Shene is the author of A Dance to Freedom: Your Guide to Liberation from Lies and Illusions.
No comments:
Post a Comment